Many homeowners believe they can handle pest control on their own, with the logic being, “Why spend money on an exterminator when I can handle the problem myself?” Do-it-yourself pest control may seem like a no-brainer—put out traps for rodents or spray insects—but is it really that easy?
The answer is no. If it were, there wouldn’t be a need for dedicated pest control services. DIY methods don’t remove pests effectively, and while it may be tempting to take matters into your own hands, doing so can make the situation even worse. Some problems you may encounter if you attempt DIY pest control methods include:
- Human error – Pest control is actually harder than it looks, especially when it comes to outsmarting these nuisances. Their behaviour patterns aim to avoid danger, making them difficult to corner if you don’t have the right training. Effective pest control requires detailed and repeated treatment methods, and when homeowners do it themselves, they usually skip essential details or treat the wrong places in the house. These mistakes can enable pests to escape and continue infesting your home.
- Treating symptoms – Most DIY methods only treat the symptoms of an infestation. For example, when homeowners see mice, they might put out traps. Even if this initial attempt is successful, the mice will probably come back because this approach only addresses the current situation. Focusing only on the symptoms of an infestation can ultimately turn out to be a quick fix that doesn’t offer effective treatment. In order to solve the problem entirely, you must find out where the pests are coming from and what they want. Proper prevention includes blocking entry points and removing attractants like food and shelter. A pest control expert will know where to look for trouble spots and how to deal with them.
- Scattering insects – One common DIY mistake is spraying ants on sight. This might kill them, but they scatter after being sprayed, making it harder to eliminate them outright. Ants also release a repellent substance to warn others in their colony to stay away. This makes it difficult to locate and eliminate the source. As long as the colony survives, ants will continue to thrive and will eventually come back. Hiring an ant control expert is a better way to identify the source of the problem and solve it more effectively.
- Identification problems – It’s easy to see the outward signs of an infestation, but it’s harder to identify what caused them. In many cases, there are more unseen pests hiding in crawl spaces or behind walls. Without proper training, it’s easy to overlook these hidden pests. Some leave telltale signs while others leave not-so-obvious ones that you may not recognize if you don’t know what to look for. One example is termite damage; it’s not always visible and often the destruction is hidden inside walls, making it easy to miss. Pest control experts can identify such signs and give you a proper diagnosis.
- Universal pest control – Some homeowners may adopt a “one size fits all” mentality when it comes to pest control. They may use the same methods for dealing with different pests (e.g. using one type of pesticide for all insects). However, this is ineffective; using one universal treatment won’t cut it. Different pests require specific treatments to remove them properly, and each method must be tailored to the specific pest in order to work efficiently. Pest control specialists have more knowledge in this area and can use their expertise to determine the ideal solution.
- Harmful pesticides – Many homeowners use pesticides to attack an infestation. However, these chemicals are poisonous and can affect your family’s health and safety if misused, inhaled, or ingested. It’s important to pay attention to pesticide label information, but a professional pest control technician is trained to use chemical treatments properly to ensure your safety. Many companies even use natural, eco-friendly products that are safe for use around humans and pets. Trust the experts to do the work without putting anyone at risk.
- Chance of injury – DIY pest control can be dangerous and put you at risk of being stung or bitten by an animal or insect, especially if you don’t know how to predict their behaviour. Rats, squirrels, and raccoons can attack and bite if cornered, and many of these animals carry diseases. Raccoons, in particular, can be a threat to your health and that of your pets. Professionals are trained and equipped to handle pests without getting injured. They also understand and predict pest behaviour to avoid bringing harm to themselves or your family.
- Environmental damage – Inappropriate use of pesticides can have greater consequences than just affecting your family. If applied incorrectly, pesticides can seep into the water table or run off into local sewage systems. Professional pest control services can effectively treat a problem without damaging the local ecosystem. Many companies try less harmful methods first and apply pesticides only as a last resort. The pros know exactly how much to use and how to mix the chemicals correctly to avoid damaging the environment.
- Higher costs – The logic behind most DIY pest control is to save money. It might appear that spraying pesticides or setting traps is an affordable option, but the truth is the opposite. DIY methods tend to cost more and are usually inadequate; even when they seem to work, pests eventually return. At worst, DIY methods can become a money pit, with pests remaining despite your efforts. Professional pest control services can eliminate infestations effectively, ending the threat at its source. They can give you an initial estimate and provide quotes for the services and treatments. This may seem more expensive at first, but a professional can solve the problem more efficiently than DIY tactics and save you money in the long run.
You may believe that DIY pest control can work, but it doesn’t. It can be tempting to do the job yourself, but you’re liable to do more harm than good. Trust a professional to ensure it’s done right. Hiring a pest control service is more affordable, causes less potential damage to your home, and keeps your family safe. Trained professionals have the expertise and tools to remove an infestation safely and effectively.
Mr. Pest Control has a proven record when it comes to pest control. We pride ourselves on offering clients reliable, high-quality service to remove pests efficiently. We use the latest tools and techniques, and provide highly trained specialists to keep you safe as we solve your pest problems. Call us at (705) 739-7378 (Barrie, Midland, and Simcoe) or (705) 326-3377 (Orillia) for a free estimate. You can reach us 24 hours a day, seven days a week in case of an emergency.