One of the most talked about pests lately is the bed bug. They enter homes or apartments by hiding out in the cracks and crevices of luggage, furniture, clothing, pillows, boxes and other objects when they are moved between apartments, homes and hotels. Bed bugs hide during the day and typically feed at night.
Bed bugs are very hardy and difficult to kill. Controlling them is a challenge and often requires multiple applications. Many insecticides are not effective at killing the eggs, so a repeat treatment is often necessary to kill the juveniles after they hatch. Due to some bed bugs developing resistance to some methods, alternative methods include heat and steam treatments have to be used to kill the bed bugs.
Here are some facts about bed bugs that you should know:
- Bed bugs are visible to the human eye and are about the size of an apple seed.
- Bed bugs do have the ability to move between rooms. While they tend to live in beds, they can move so apartment buildings can see bed bugs moving between apartments through cracks in the walls.
- Avoid daily spot treatments for bed bugs. It can cause the pesticide-resistant population to grow, making elimination of the bed bugs more difficult. You should call a professional to properly eliminate the issue.
- Infested items that cannot be treated with pesticides can be treated with heat or cold to kill the bed bugs.
- Bed Bugs can survive for months without feeding on their source of food – blood.
- They can rapidly reproduce.
Bed bugs tend to be hiding on furniture, luggage, bedding, and other second hand items. You should be careful when acquiring any item or after a stay in a hotel to ensure that you are not bringing any of them into your home. While bed bugs are becoming more common, they are not impossible to get rid of. It is recommended that you use a professional to make sure that your issue is dealt with properly.
For your complimentary inspection feel free to call us at (7378) or email us.